Friday, March 3, 2017

Civil Unity I

So am I getting an education in my social activism. I have long been a quiet activist for social justice. Since the election I felt that my quiet activism was not enough.
I recently took up supporting and promoting a commemoration of the American Civil Rights movement. In the process I have learned the term "civil rights" does not mean the same thing to every one. So I looked it up.
  • civ·il rights noun: the rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality
That is what I always have understood. It runs with my mantra: Liberty,and Justice, For all. However it does not necessarily run parallel with the Civil Rights Movement in many people's minds. The civil rights movement is more about the history of oppression and activism of African American's in our country that lead to the historic Civil Rights act of 1965. Which is not that long ago. The wounds of that time are real. The wounds of today are real. The Civil Rights Act is for the protection of all Americans, and came to us from the hard work of African Americans and their Allies. 

I am a white women, and limited in my world view by my experience walking through my life in privilege. My experience might be broader than the average white woman. I grew up very poor, with a mentally ill parent. I joined the military, and met people from all over the world. I have lived in a community where I was a minority for three years, I have traveled and visited five different countries, I have been called poor white trash, and a nasty white girl. I have seen the results of  racism in the uneven application of violence and incarceration to people of color in law enforcement in my country, I have lived through mass shootings in my country the worst being the Pulse night club massacre. 

When I look at all of the data of who is at the most risk of violence and discrimination in my country, it is very clear that people of color, and people of the LGTBQ community are the most at risk of murder. So the intersection of LGTBQ people of color are those who have the greatest need for civil rights protection. They are the most vulnerable, and live the most in fear. They are not a side note. They are not a tic mark box of inclusion. It is not about political correctness. For me it is about standing up for civil rights and civil liberties for my fellow human beings. I can not represent women of color. I can represent myself, a white woman, and the Anchorage Women's March. They are clear. I am clear. We will only associate ourselves with events that place LGBTQ heroes parallel with all others. 

We are in dark times for civil rights in our country. We are all under attack. We need to stand together if we are going to be effective, we can not afford to alienate powerful allies. In this town, the pride parade festivities had 10,000 attendees. That is a very powerful contingent of people. They know how to fight. We need their help if we are going to be successful at protecting health care, protecting our environment, protecting civil rights, and protecting our reproductive rights. My goal is that we move forward together in solidarity, in synergy. 

I will stand behind my sisters of color. I will give all the support I can. I will step away from those that will not support and fight with the LGBTQ community. I will stand behind those that will be inclusive.



No comments:

Post a Comment